Friday, August 8, 2014

{ON} Mission

photo credit*

My church just wrapped up a series called "The Satisfaction Trilogy", you can find the sermons here in case you want to check them out.  I just watched them online because we were gone for the first two (vacation) and last Sunday we worked in the nursery so we didn't attend service.

All 3 messages were great but the last one really rocked me.  Jon, our minister preached on our mission and that Jesus told each one of us what "our calling" was.  In Matthew 28:18-20 Jesus tells his disciples to go out into the world and make more disciples and that he would always be with them.  It's that simple, go out and love on people and spread the Gospel.  Simple, yes. Easy? No.

One question that was asked during the sermon: Is there a welcome mat at the entrance of my home? This wasn't about a literal welcome mat but about hospitality.  Are others welcome to come into my home and be part of my family? At first I answered, "Yes, of course! I love having people over into my home, sharing meals, telling jokes, just hanging out and 'doing life'." But then it hit me, this is not the case with just anyone.

You see, I'm the type of person who loves to love...those close to me.  I love my family and friends and would do anything for them.  Any need I can meet, done.  Any want/desire that I can fulfill...sign me up! But when it comes to everyone else, those I don't know, who aren't in my close circle....that's another story.  Not because I don't care for them, but because I'm too worried about what they might think of me, what others will think of me.

Who can I love on that I don't know, how can I help the people of my community, what's the best way to minister to them?



*I have no ties to the church linked in the photo, I just liked the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment